Rewaco Trike Owners Club UK

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > VW Trikes > Engine change

Tangomango

Anyone put a Subaru engine into a boxer fitted trike? I'm considering changing due to lack of grunt and awful fuel consumption etc etc. I'd be interested to know how performance and fuel consumption is compared to the VW 1600 boxer. I believe there is a gearbox plate available to allow fitting Subaru boxer direct to VW gearbox? Any help/advice would be well appreciated.

Are there any other engines which can be fitted, i know of Porsche but too pricey i guess.

Cheers, Phil

--
September 5, 2013 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doghouse Repair

the problem you'll encounter is hiding the radiator that you'll need to cool the Subi engine. Many BTW members with homemade trikes have converted to the Subi motor, but they had the luxury of being able to hide the radiator under a 'floor' or in front of the rear engine crash bar. You don't say which trike you have, but assuming it's a Rewaco HS4, you'll ruin it's look doing the swap. You'd be better off building the engine you have to a 1915cc and maintaining the look.

September 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tangomango

Doghouse Repair at September 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

the problem you'll encounter is hiding the radiator that you'll need to cool the Subi engine. Many BTW members with homemade trikes have converted to the Subi motor, but they had the luxury of being able to hide the radiator under a 'floor' or in front of the rear engine crash bar. You don't say which trike you have, but assuming it's a Rewaco HS4, you'll ruin it's look doing the swap. You'd be better off building the engine you have to a 1915cc and maintaining the look.

HI, thanks for the info. It's a HS5 family i have with the 1600 air cooled engine, twin carb(Brazilian). I had a discussion with a guy recently who told me it was possible to buy a kit to uprate it to 1800cc for not a lot of money and it would provide a good boost in power. It's fuel economy for me, i feel that 30mpg is awful considering the power to weight ratio on the trike against the same motor stuck in a van??? It seems this engine will produce 30mpg in any situation? It's pitiful and i would like more oooomph and go! Scooby 1.6cc engines will return over 40mpg and twice as many horses so I figured that was the way to go. The 1915cc thing must be stateside as i don't seem to see or hear of it over here. What's involved, new barrels, heads, pistons????? Once again, many thanks for your input, info & fast response .

I currently own a Yamaha XVS1300 V twin trike which goes like shit off a shovel and will return over 50mpg on long runs, awesome! It's a huge gap between old technology and modern. My point is: Motorbike engines run differently from auto engines, rev much higher but can still produce great fuel economy. The VW engine is a big slug, low revving engine which i expected  to return far better miles per gallon. Remember our gallon is 8 pints, unlike 7 in the States so it makes it even worse in my opinion? I really love my waco trike so some kind of tinkering is neccesary for me to love it to keep long term. Before anyone says buy a RF1 or similiar, don't go there, i don't like them as they are too much like cars from the back and lack old skool character, looks etc. TOO MODERN & fucked up IMHO. I've no desire to pay the dosh they want for one of those trikes, not worth it for me. 

September 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doghouse Repair

to make your engine a 1915: open the block and heads to accept the common 94 jugs. Buy a 94mm non stroker p/cyl kit, new p-rod tubes and an engine build gasket kit. Reassemble and dial in the FI.Now, I have greatly summarized the process. There is a Whole Lot of things involved to do what I just said, so leave it to a reputable VW shop. You won't be sorry, but you won't get over 30mpg either, so pinch yourself and wake up from that dream!

September 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tangomango

Hey man, thanks for that. My dream has ended, damn! Your info sounds good though. I like doing daft things so who knows. Many thanks bud

September 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave

We have successfully fitted a VW 1915cc to our 2002 Family Trike. So much quicker in 3rd. Fuel consumption about the same.

January 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vinni trike

i have an addapter plate and fly wheel for vw gearbox to ford engine i did the same conversion a few year ago with a 1.6 cvh engine and was getting between 40 and 50 mpg depending on how u ride and it as now been fitted with a hs5 body and still running well the link is a picture of the trike                                                                                                                          https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=227724027358102&l=300f4a55a8

January 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tangomango

vinni trike at January 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM

i have an addapter plate and fly wheel for vw gearbox to ford engine i did the same conversion a few year ago with a 1.6 cvh engine and was getting between 40 and 50 mpg depending on how u ride and it as now been fitted with a hs5 body and still running well the link is a picture of the trike                                                                                                                          https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=227724027358102&l=300f4a55a8

Hi, thanks for info. I now have a complete Scoobi, 2.0 non turbo which i've removed the engine and loom from. I also have the Kennedy adaptor kit ready to instal. This Sunday 19Jan, the engine will be removed from the trike and the Scoobi engine fitted, I'll then be able to spend the coming weeks fitting her out with plumbing, electrical etc. I'm not a lover of the VW air cooled engine and i'm looking forward to a completely new adventure in the new season. Nice to hear that somebody else has carried out a similar conversion. I'm hoping for excellent fuel consumption as i don't drive hard, it's power i want. To be able to overtake and climb hills with ease will be so good, a bit of Oooomph. Cheers and many thanks, Phil

January 17, 2014 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tangomango

Engine change is happening. Bought a complete 2.0 non trubo impreza which i've used as my donor. kennedy adapter plate and flywheel £400.00 from USA, a new clutch plate and the old ashtmatic VW lump will be removed on Sunday when the Scoobi gear will be fitted. i know exactly where my radiator will go along with venting etc etc. Looking forward to a nice raspy and exciting ride in the new season, being able to overtake on A & B roads will be great. My mate thinks i may need wheelie bars?? Down boy! No, ballast will be added if so. My sleep is massively disturbed as i think constantly about all of this, man it's not humane, lol

January 17, 2014 at 5:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tangomango

Dave at January 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM

We have successfully fitted a VW 1915cc to our 2002 Family Trike. So much quicker in 3rd. Fuel consumption about the same.

Hi, yes i did think of going that way but i was advised by a local that it would be very costly and when you start uprating these engines you can get reliability issues etc. I was advised by a couple of people not to go over 1800cc? I'm sure from your message that you're happy with it. My real goal is for modern tech as i have a spinal problem which does not help me when changing oil and doing tappets frequently. The new set up will be maintenance free-ish, no tappets to do and 7500 mile between services. It makes sense for me as i do not like paying others to do such simple things. Or what were simple to me 5 years back. Life's a bitch but hey, older age and old bike crash injuries have taken their toll and do not help, sadly. I'm loving the Rewaco trike though, so comfortable and easy to ride. Shame i can't get out of the seat so well, LOL Maybe it's cos i just fit into that seat and love it so much?????

January 17, 2014 at 5:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tangomango

Dave at January 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Hi, i have replied to your message but posted it instead, stupid me. See above for reading please. Thanks for your info.

January 17, 2014 at 5:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tangomango

Thats the VW engine out and the scoobi engine fitted. The Kennedy adapter plate and flywheel are fab. The engine turns over a treat, now to the wiring and getting her fired up, can't wait. This is such an easy job so if anyone considers doing this option i'd be delighted to help / offer advice. Ive taken pictures which i will eventually post for all to see.

January 19, 2014 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mick lloyd

just got a hs3 with agolf 1800 gti convertion any info on this engine in a trike please.      thanks        mick

--
February 2, 2014 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tangomango
Sorry Mick i dont but it sounds good. You muar have engine gearbox & drive train i guess? It'll go well for sure
February 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mick lloyd

Hi it's  been a long and costly nightmare getting this trike to do a journey with out being recovered by the rac. I think I have finally cracked it after 2 engine fires 1 electrical Fire . Head gaskets blowing due to an inadequate cooling system a rad out of an 1100 cc Opel cooling a1800 Gti engine this was fitted when purchased. New custom rad new water pump twin high out put cooling fans and total rewire .it had a 15 amp fuse box running 25/30 amp wiring hopefully  no longer arisk to life or limb.

November 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Watson

mick lloyd at November 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Hi it's  been a long and costly nightmare getting this trike to do a journey with out being recovered by the rac. I think I have finally cracked it after 2 engine fires 1 electrical Fire . Head gaskets blowing due to an inadequate cooling system a rad out of an 1100 cc Opel cooling a1800 Gti engine this was fitted when purchased. New custom rad new water pump twin high out put cooling fans and total rewire .it had a 15 amp fuse box running 25/30 amp wiring hopefully  no longer arisk to life or limb.

Great effort, I am planning to fit a EJ20 to a Rewaco Trike HS4, just have to source the car.  Subarugears here in Australia do a reverse pinion so its possible to use the Subi gearbox.  That way is more costly than the adaptor plate, so doubt I will go that way

August 7, 2018 at 2:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.